Wardrobe Supervisor (Tucson)
Full time seasonal, non-exempt
Reports to: Costume Shop Manager
Supervises: Tucson Overhire Dressers
This position is based in Tucson, AZ.
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – and the only LORT theatre nationally that produces shows in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of all aspects of the wardrobe department, including costume maintenance and the wardrobe running crew for ATC productions in Tucson. Candidates from populations underrepresented in technical theatre are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Supervise the wardrobe department as directed by the Costume Shop Manager and the specific needs of each production.
- Coordinate with the Production Manager and Costume Shop Manager on the hiring of additional wardrobe personnel based on the needs of each production.
- Generate and maintain all wardrobe paperwork including run sheets, preset paperwork, laundry and maintenance schedules, and pre and post show checklists.
- Coordinate with the show’s wig master and Costume Shop Manager to ensure any wigs in the show are properly documented and maintained by the dressers.
- Coordinate haircuts for the actors with the Costume Shop Manager and the Stage Manager as necessary.
- Obtain supplies and equipment needed for each production.
- Coordinate with the Assistant Production Manager and supervise all wardrobe load-in and strike needs.
- Collaborate with Phoenix Lead Dresser on remounting shows from Tucson to Phoenix to ensure a smooth and effective transition. This includes supervising and/or executing costumes notes and training of new dressers as necessary.
- Assess and execute the daily cleaning and maintenance of costumes and wigs during the run of the production in accordance with Equity regulations
- Coordinate, organize, and maintain all quick change and dressing needs and areas for actors during the run of the production.
- Manage and maintain the supplies, tools, other wardrobe equipment, wardrobe room, road boxes, and dressing rooms.
- Attend all production meetings, technical, and dress rehearsal note sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledgeable about standard costume construction techniques and materials.
- Understanding of standard theatrical wardrobe requirements and quick change techniques.
- Basic understanding of wig construction and maintenance preferred.
- Self-motivated, energetic, and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Attentive to detail, accountable, and deadline oriented.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and supervisory skills.
- Computer knowledge including Microsoft Office or comparable computer skills.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- College degree or equivalent work experience preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of costume construction and backstage crew experience preferred.
- Eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Frequent long days, overtime, and night and weekend work are required.
- Long periods of sitting, standing, bending, and kneeling are required.
- Able to lift and move items weighing 50 pounds.
- Short and multi-week stays in Phoenix as required for productions. Shared housing provided.
This is a full-time, seasonal position and is eligible for ATC’s benefits package which includes paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and health, dental, and vision insurance.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references via email to email@example.com. Please include “Wardrobe Supervisor” in the subject line.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis.