Full time, non-exempt
Reports to Production Manager & Asst. Production Manager
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – as well as the only LORT theatre nationally that operates in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Stage Supervisor will coordinate the maintenance, running, and organization of the scenic and prop elements for ATC productions in Tucson. They are the primary deck crew member and fly person for ATC’s productions in Tucson. The Stage Supervisor will also maintain the backstage work areas in collaboration with other departments and functions as the coordinator of the Stage Operations Department in both cities. Applicants from communities that are underrepresented in technical theatre are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Serve as the primary deck crew member for ATC’s productions in Tucson.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all scenic and prop elements in productions.
- In collaboration with Stage Management, oversee stage maintenance, technical rehearsals and performance preset onstage.
- Coordinate transfer of the physical production elements (function and operation) from the Technical Director and shop crew to the members of the run crew.
- Maintain the theater space including stage floor, fly system, soft goods and backstage area during load in, performances and strike.
- Keep other Production Department team members informed of issues, attempted fixes, and effective solutions to address problems during the run.
- Work in conjunction with Stage Management to:
- Assign run crew tasks
- Schedule crew calls and maintenance calls
- Maintain Current Run Paperwork for each show
- Work with Production Management to hire deck crew in both cities.
- Productions may call for this position to be a costumed run crew member.
- Act as head fly person for ATC load ins, electrics hang, performances, and strikes. Assist in the determination of line set schedules and maintain changes and updates through out the production.
- Assist with load-in and strike as needed.
- Collaborate with Phoenix Stage Carpenter on remounting shows from Tucson to Phoenix to ensure a smooth and effective transition. This includes supervising and/or executing scenery notes calls and training of new run crew members as necessary.
- Assist the Assistant Production Manager with the coordination of production elements for outside companies renting the Temple of Music and Art facilities. Act as the on-site production supervisor for the duration of the event.
- Work on special events, user groups, and other outside ATC activities as needed.
- Maintain safe and organized backstage work and storage areas.
- Attend production meetings and all technical and dress rehearsal notes sessions as directed.
- Self-motivated, energetic and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Attentive to detail, accountable and deadline oriented.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- College degree preferred.
- A Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in theatre carpentry, stage management or running productions.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and supervisory skills.
- Skilled with all hand and power tools, basic carpentry, welding, automation, theatrical lighting, and theatrical rigging.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be able to lift 50-70 pounds.
- Work days could be long and could include long periods of time either sitting or standing.
- During technical rehearsal days required work calls could be 10-14 hours per day.
- Must be able to work from heights (ie grids, catwalks, ladders, and genie lifts).
- Ability to travel for Phoenix residencies based on production schedules.
- Must be able to obtain a valid drivers’ license.
This is a full-time, year-round position. Due to the nature of professional theatre, regular evening and weekend work is expected. Relocation services are not offered.
Submit resume and cover letter, with three professional references via e-mail only to Tajh Oates, Assistant Production Manager, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin.