Stage Carpenter – Phoenix
Full-time seasonal, Non-Exempt
Reports to Production Manager
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – as well as the only LORT theatre nationally that produces shows in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Centre). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Stage Carpenter – Phoenix will coordinate the maintenance, running, and organization of the backstage area for ATC productions. They are the primary deck crew member and flyman for ATC’s productions in Phoenix and act as ATC’s Production Department representative at the Herberger Theater Center.
- Serve as the primary deck crew member for ATC’s productions in Phoenix.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all scenic and prop elements in productions.
- Maintain safe and organized work and backstage storage areas.
- Oversee stage maintenance, technical rehearsals and performance preset onstage.
- Maintain the theater space including stage floor, fly system, soft goods and backstage area during load in, performances and strike.
- Responsible for the overall inventory of hardware and toolboxes.
- Attend production meetings and all technical and dress rehearsal notes sessions as directed.
- Work in conjunction with Stage Management to:
- Assign run crew tasks
- Schedule crew calls and maintenance calls
- Maintain Current Run Paperwork for each show
- Collaborate with Tucson Stage Carpenter on remounting shows from Tucson to Phoenix to ensure a smooth and effective transition. This includes supervising and/or executing scenery notes calls and training of new run crew members as necessary.
- Coordinate transfer of the physical production elements (function and operation) from Technical Director and shop crew to the members of the run crew.
- Act as head flyman for ATC load ins, electrics hang, performances, and strikes. Coordinate and assist in the determination of lineset schedules.
- Assist with load-in and strike as needed.
- Work on special events, user groups, and other outside ATC activities as needed.
- Keep other Production Department team members informed of issues, attempted fixes, and effective solutions to address problems during the run.
- Productions may call for this position to be a costumed run crew member.
- Self motivated, energetic and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Attentive to detail, accountable and deadline oriented.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- College degree preferred.
- A Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in theatre carpentry, stage management or running productions.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and supervisory skills.
- Skilled with all hand and power tools, basic carpentry, welding, automation, theatrical lighting, and theatrical rigging.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Must be able to lift 50-70 pounds.
- Work days could be long and could include long periods of time either sitting or standing.
- During technical rehearsal days required work calls could be 10-14 hours per day.
- Must be able to work from heights (ie grids, catwalks, ladders, and genie lifts).
- Ability to travel for Tucson residencies base on production schedules.
- Must be able to obtain a valid drivers’ license.
This is a full-time, seasonal position. Due to the nature of professional theatre, periodic evening and weekend work is expected.
Please send resume and cover letter, with three professional references via e-mail only to Tajh Oates, Assistant Production Manager, at email@example.com.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis, including race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender presentation, religion, disability, or national origin.