Scenic Carpenter (Tucson)
Full time seasonal, non-exempt
Reports to Technical Director
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – and the only LORT theatre nationally that operates in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Carpenter will construct scenic elements for ATC productions and outside contracts. This position is based in Tucson, AZ. Candidates from populations underrepresented in technical theatre are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Construct scenic elements, in accordance with plans provided by the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director, through carpentry, welding, rigging, and work with plastics and other commonly used scenic materials.
- Work with Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director on load ins and strikes in both Tucson and Phoenix.
- Work with other carpenters and scene shop staff to maintain a safe and organized work area.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Expertise in standard scenic construction techniques, practices, and tools including welding.
- Understanding of standard industry rigging techniques.
- Able to read and understand drawings generated by CAD programs.
- Able to exercise minimal supervisory skills when assigned to lead tasks with overhire, IATSE crew, and interns.
- Understanding of the theatrical design process.
- Self-motivated, energetic and an effective and an efficient communicator.
- Attentive to detail, accountable and able to meet deadlines consistently.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- Basic understanding of automation systems and Creative Connors automation control software.
- Basic knowledge of CNC (ShopBot and VCarve Pro Software)
- Basic knowledge of AutoDesk AutoCAD drafting software.
- Able to or willingness to learn to drive a 26’ box truck.
- Able or willingness to learn to drive a forklift.
- College degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in a professional theatre scene shop environment.
- Eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Occasional overtime and night and weekend work are required.
- Long periods of sitting, standing, bending, and kneeling are required.
- Able to lift and move items weighing 80 pounds.
- Able to work at heights (Grids, catwalks, personnel lifts, loading bridge).
- Short Phoenix residencies are required based on production schedules. Shared housing provided.
This is a full-time, seasonal position and is eligible for ATC’s benefits package which includes paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and health, dental, and vision insurance.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Scenic Carpenter” in the subject line.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis.