Full time seasonal, non-exempt
Reports to Charge Scenic Artist
Position based in Tucson, AZ.
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – as well as the only LORT theatre nationally that produces shows in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Centre). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Scenic Artist will be involved in executing the painting of all scenic elements and assist the paint department in day to day operations. Candidates from populations underrepresented in technical theatre are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Complete all scenic paint work on time and within available resources.
- Occasional supervision of overhire artists, interns, or volunteers.
- Assist in the finishes and painting of properties, under direction of the Charge Scenic Artist and the Properties Master.
- Work days could be long surrounding tech week and there will be occasional night and weekend calls.
- Short Phoenix residencies required based on production needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Maintenance and Administrative Duties
- Maintain ATC paint department tools, paint shop areas, and paint department inventories.
- Assist on other ATC special events or programs as assigned by the Production Manager and/or Charge Scenic Artist.
- Working knowledge of standard scenic art techniques including, but not limited to, paint mixing, sculpting, trompe l’oeil, drop painting, HVLP sprayers, and the ability to easily understand and paint from provided samples and renderings.
- Working knowledge of the brushes, carving tools, sprayers, scenic paint, sealers, and other typical materials and tools commonly used in scenic art.
- Self-motivated, energetic and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Attentive to detail, accountable and able to operate within deadline oriented schedules.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced work environment.
- College degree and/or equivalent professional experience in scenic art.
- Eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Occasional overtime and night and weekend work are required.
- Long periods of sitting, standing, bending, and kneeling are required.
- Able to lift and move items weighing 50 pounds.
- Able to work at heights (Personnel Lifts, Ladders, Scaffolding).
- Short Phoenix residencies are required based on production schedules. Shared housing provided.
This is a full-time, seasonal position and is eligible for ATC’s benefits package which includes paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and health, dental, and vision insurance.
Submit a resume, cover letter, three professional references, and portfolio examples (website link, or 5-7 photos in a single PDF attachment) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Scenic Artist” in the subject line.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis.