Properties Carpenter/Artisan (Tucson)
Full time seasonal, non-exempt
Reports to Properties Master
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – as well as the only LORT theatre nationally that operates in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Properties Artisan will work with the rest of the Properties Department and ATC’s Production Staff to construct and restore furniture, hand props, and set dressing for ATC’s Productions. The position must be creative, collaborative and have excellent communication skills.
- Responsible for the construction and restoration of furniture, hand props, and set dressing for ATC’s productions.
- Assist the Properties Master and Assistant Properties Master in load ins, strikes, and remounts as directed.
- Maintain Prop Department Tools and Equipment
- Work with other scene shop staff to maintain a safe and organized work area.
- Other duties as assigned
- Expertise in fine woodworking, cabinetry, metal forming, and fabrication along with standard theatrical prop construction techniques.
- Proficient on table saws, band saws, chop saws, belt sanders, MIG welder, cold cut saw, grinders, and assorted hand tools.
- Able to build from construction drawings and in some cases photographs.
- Self-motivated, energetic, and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines consistently.
- Understanding of the theatrical design process.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- College degree preferred.
- A Minimum of 1 year of experience in professional theatre prop shop construction.
- Minimal supervisory skills necessary to be utilized with overhire and intern situations.
- Eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Occasional overtime and night and weekend work are required.
- Long periods of sitting, standing, bending, and kneeling are required.
- Able to lift and move items weighing 50 pounds.
- Able to work at heights (personnel lifts, ladders, scaffolding).
- Short Phoenix residencies are required based on production schedules. Shared housing provided.
This is a full-time, seasonal position and is eligible for ATC’s benefits package which includes paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and health, dental, and vision insurance.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Properties Artisan” in the subject line.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis.