Full time exempt
Reports to Artistic Director and Managing Director
Position based in Tucson, AZ, Short stays in Phoenix required
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – and the only LORT theatre nationally that operates in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Production Manager will work closely with the Artistic Director, Managing Director and other ATC staff to plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate the various production and operational activities of ATC. Candidates from populations underrepresented in technical theatre are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work collaboratively with all guest artists to achieve the highest possible artistic standards within the available resources of personnel, time, and budget.
- Supervise and manage the Production Department Heads and all related full- and part-time production staff.
- Supervise and Manage the design and implementation of ATC mainstage productions, including all elements of scenery, lighting, props, paints, costumes, wigs, makeup, projections, and sound in both Tucson and Phoenix.
- Negotiate and manage all set, costume and prop rentals and applicable paperwork and finance issues.
Develop and maintain seasonal departmental budgets and projections for Production.
- Develop and manage Production department payroll and associated paperwork.
- Assist in season planning and develop and manage master production calendar and scheduling.
- Negotiate with USA designers and prepare and/or supervise preparation of all applicable contracts, letters of agreement, payments, and other paperwork for these guest artists.
- Supervise and prepare submission of information to USA and other unions and organizations as required.
- Coordinate designer schedules with all other ATC departments.
- Provide production support to outside rentals, ATC-presented special events, and various education programs including Summer on Stage.
- Assist development, marketing, and community engagement initiatives as needed, coordinate and develop technical support for annual fundraising events in both cities, tours, and special events, also including assistance in project grant submissions.
- Attend Board or Committee meetings as requested by Artistic Director and/or Managing Director.
- Represent ATC at community events as requested.
- Represent ATC at arts events in Tucson and Phoenix as needed.
- Travel to conferences and other out-of-town events as needed.
- Ability to supervise numerous individuals and to work well with people, including ATC staff, volunteers, other agency and governmental personnel, ATC customers, union representatives, artists, and potential donors.
- Understanding of standard theatrical practices in all technical areas including scenery, costumes, lighting, sound, and stage management.
- Knowledge of best practices in creating a safe working environment and a culture of safety including training, protective equipment, and safe working practices.
- Understanding and experience navigating USA, IATSE, and AEA contracts.
- General knowledge of non-profit and theatrical budgeting and accounting procedures and rules.
- Self motivated, energetic and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Organized and attentive to detail, accountable and deadline oriented.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in technical theater, stage management, or production management required.
- Four or more years of artistic theatre administration and/or production management experience.
- Four or more years of supervisory experience.
- Frequent long days and night and weekend work are required.
- Long periods of sitting, standing, bending, and kneeling are required.
- Able to lift and move items weighing 50 pounds.
- Short stays in Phoenix as required for productions. Housing provided.
This is a full-time position and is eligible for ATC’s benefits package which includes paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and health, dental, and vision insurance.
Send any questions or inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references via email to email@example.com. Please include “Production Manager” in the subject line.