Lighting and Projections Supervisor
Full time exempt
Reports to Production Manager
Updated September 2020
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – as well as the only LORT theatre nationally that produces shows in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
Arizona Theatre Company strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented communities within the industry to apply.
The Lighting/Projections Supervisor’s primary role is to serve as a liaison between lighting and projections designers and all other production departments. As supervisor, the position is responsible for coordinating, planning, maintaining and implementing all of the lighting and projection needs for our unique two-city operation.
- Responsible for planning, organizing and running the Lighting/Projections Department in both cities.
- Responsible for maintaining department budgets, daily bookkeeping and cost estimates for each production.
- Directly supervise the Master Electrician and any lighting overhire.
- Organize, coordinate and supervise all departmental crew calls, including IATSE crew calls.
- Provide support to the designers in achieving designs.
- Coordinate daily schedules with production management, designers and other department heads.
- Coordinate interdepartmental design elements with other department heads.
- Responsible for maintaining artistic integrity of lighting and projection designs.
- Purchase and/or rent all lighting and projection equipment expendables according to specific production and departmental needs within budget limits.
- Responsible for maintaining all lighting and projection equipment inventories and all required servicing.
- In coordination with the Master Electrician, update and maintain paperwork for each production.
- Attend all production meetings and technical, dress rehearsal, preview note sessions and other team meetings as required
- Collaborate with Stage Management to ensure that productions adhere to all Equity rules regarding atmospherics.
- Coordinate the transfer of all shows from Tucson to Phoenix.
- Participate in planning and running of presentations and rentals as needed.
- Oversee resource management for lighting and projection needs for ATC events as assigned. (i.e. Summer on Stage, Gala, special events).
- Update, generate and maintain all departmental documentation.
- Ensure all safety protocols are being upheld in alignment with the ATC Safety Manual.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Effective communicator with designers, staff and overhire.
- Able to promote and cultivate a safe and organized work environment.
- Attentive to detail, accountable and skilled in time management.
- Ability to operate counterweight flying systems and personnel lifts.
- Experience with Watchout media server
- Ability to handle basic lighting design for events and rentals
- Knowledge of standard theatrical electrical and projections equipment, standards, and atmospherics, as well as maintaining knowledge of advancements in lighting and projections technologies, techniques, and practices.
- Experience in resource and budget management.
- Experience in crew leadership
- Knowledge of safe practices regarding fundamental rigging (including the use of a focus track), theatrical electricity and theatrical video technologies.
- Skilled in basic office software, and production software (ATC owns Vectorworks and Lightwright).
- Light board programming skills required (ETC) and knowledge of other design programs preferred (Lightwright and Vectorworks).
- Knowledge of network-based lighting and projections systems.
- Experience with programming media servers for theatrical projections.
- Must be able to obtain valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to lift at least 40 pounds.
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to lifting and bending, climbing ladders.
- Ability to work from heights (ie grids, catwalks, ladders, and genie lifts).
- Available to work nights and weekends. Work days could be long and could include long periods of time either sitting or standing.
- Short Phoenix residencies required based on production schedules.
How To Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter with references to Becky Merold at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Lighting and Projections Supervisor” in the subject line.