Director of Donor Relations
Full Time, Exempt
Reports to Julia Waterfall-Kanter, Director of Development
Application Deadline: September 1, 2018
Benefits: Eligible for ATC employee benefits package
ATC Office Headquarters: Phoenix
Arizona Theatre Company is the official State Theatre of Arizona, Arizona’s only fully professional theatre company, and a member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT). Productions take place in both Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix (at the Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both cities.
The Director of Donor Relations plays a key role on ATC’s Development Team, which is responsible for raising $3.25 million annually in contributed funds. Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Director of Donor Relations works to establish long-term partnerships, strengthen existing relationships and initiate new contacts within the corporate, foundation and invidual major gifts sectors. This leader will provide strategic direction on fundraising strategies and tactics.
The desired candidate will provide the expertise to advance Arizona Theatre Company’s interests by researching and identifying sources of support, proactively seeking opportunities to generate new proposals based on funder guidelines and interests, and maintaining strong communication ties with stakeholders.
ATC is seeking someone who is energetic, ambitious, goal-oriented, creative, and organized with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with a talent for building strong and productive relationships across constituencies.
• Identify corporate, foundation, and individual major gifts prospects and conduct research to determine interest and giving potential.
• Develop, manage, and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies for corporate, foundation, and individual major gifts prospects, including meetings, events, proposals, reports and agreements.
• Oversee a caseload of 40-50 donors and help ATC’s leadership properly steward additional portfolios of donors and prospects.
• Work with ATC’s board members to recruit donors within their circle of influence, providing guidance, encouragement and support.
• Serve as point person for institutional donors, government supporters, and leaders in the Phoenix area.
• Work with staff, artists, and volunteers on donor cultivation events, especially the newly formed Artistic Director’s Circle made up of a small number of highly-engaged and artistically driven individuals.
• Work directly with marketing staff to create and implement corporate engagement activities and assets.
• Prepare and organize regular reports and manage budgets and financial goals.
• Develop and administer income and expense budgets for major donors, donor activities and special projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of progressive nonprofit development experience.
• Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques. Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from corporations, foundations, and private donors.
• Demonstrated ability in proposal writing for varied proposal development.
• Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about the giving programs of individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals.
• Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances, while working in a fast-paced setting.
• Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting.
• Arts or theatre experience a plus.
• Knowledge of Classy, Office 365 and Paton Manager (Salesforce) donor management software a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and reference “Director of Donor Relations” in the subject line.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination
in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or