Costume Shop Manager (Tucson)
Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Production Manager
Supervises: Resident Costume Designer, Staff Draper, Wardrobe
Supervisor, Lead Dresser, Costumes and Wigs Overhire and Interns
This position is based in Tucson, AZ.
Arizona’s first professional theatre company, Arizona Theatre Company is the state’s only member of the respected League of Resident Theatres (LORT) – as well as the only LORT theatre nationally that produces shows in two cities, Tucson (at the historic Temple of Music and Art) and Phoenix, (at the elegant Herberger Theater Center). ATC maintains offices in both Tucson and Phoenix.
The Costume Shop Manager serves as a senior member of the Production Staff and is responsible for the supervision of all aspects of the costume department. This position acts as a liaison between the costume designer, the artistic staff, the costume shop staff, and all other production departments. Candidates from populations underrepresented in technical theatre are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Review scripts for all productions to identify costume needs.
- Manage the design process from preliminary design concepts through final design package.
- Collaborate with Costume Designers to determine the best means of executing the final costume designs within the resources and budget available.
- Manage the procurement and construction of all costumes, costume accessories, wigs, and specialty makeup items.
- Coordinate with the Production Manager on the hiring of additional costume personnel based on the needs of each production.
- Work with the Wardrobe Supervisor and Lead Dresser to ensure the effective communication of information from the designer and the shop to the dressers. Also ensure that the Wardrobe department is properly staffed for each production.
- Ensure each of ATC’s Productions transfer to Phoenix efficiently while maintaining the artistic integrity of the show. Ensure that costumes are obtained or altered to accommodate any new cast members in Phoenix.
- Manage all costume personnel including wardrobe supervisor, drapers, stitchers, craftspeople, wig technicians, and interns.
- Maintain detailed estimates, departmental budgets, show budgets, and expense reconciliations for all spending.
- Supervise the daily operation of the costume shop and maintain an efficient and safe working environment.
- Maintain stock, tools, supplies, and other equipment in the costume shop.
- Attend production meetings, technical, and dress rehearsal notes sessions, and previews as needed.
- Schedule all necessary fittings and provide rehearsal costumes as needed.
- Collaborate with other department heads on interdepartmental projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Skilled with all standard theatrical costume construction and quick rigging techniques and materials.
- Basic understanding of theatrical wig construction and maintenance techniques and requirements.
- Basic understanding of theatrical make up techniques.
- Self-motivated, energetic, and an effective and efficient communicator.
- Attentive to detail, accountable, and deadline oriented.
- Able to uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, optimism and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting.
- Computer knowledge including Microsoft Office or comparable computer skills.
- College degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of regional theatre management and costume construction preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Eligibility to obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to endure long periods of time either sitting or standing.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Short stays in Phoenix as required for productions. Housing provided.
This is a full-time, year-round position and is eligible for ATC’s benefits package which includes paid holidays, vacation, and sick time and health, dental, and vision insurance.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Costume Shop Manager” in the subject line.
Arizona Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis.